Read aloud books are a favorite part of the kids morning. I scour the library stacks for different stories that will pique their interest. As of late, we have been reading the following:
1) My Granny Went to Market by Stella Blackstone
This is a great book that not only focuses on counting, but there are rhyming sequences as well as geography.
2) Tanglebird by Bernard Lodge
Engaging story about a bird that doesn’t know how to properly build a nest until a sweet girl takes an interest in him and teaches him and then he finally returns home.
3) Badger’s Bad Mood by Hiawyn Oram
When Badger is not feeling well, his concerned friends gather to change his spirits.
4) That’s What Friends Are For by Florence Parry Heide
Another story about friendship in that an elephant is unable to meet his cousin and he seeks advice from his friends that isn’t good advice until a opossum tells the others what real friends should do in the time of need.
5) Duck, Duck, Goose (A Coyote’s on the Loose) by Karen Beaumont
My son loves rhyming books and this was an instant hit with him.